Thursday, July 2, 2015

July 2015 Speaking Engagements

I've got 2 events currently scheduled in July. It should be a lot of fun.

Monday, July 13, 2015
LADOTNET
Los Angeles, CA
Meetup Event
Topic: Unit Testing Makes Me Faster

I've been a big fan of unit testing for a long time. And I've worked with it enough to see how it has sped up my development process. I'll show some examples of how unit testing can be much faster than manual testing the application or with a test app. And we'll look at some features that make up good unit testing -- these are key to having tests that speed us up rather than slow us down.

This is a new talk. I gave it for the first time this past weekend at the So Cal Code Camp. That talk went very well, and I'm looking to keep improving it. (I've been accepted to give this talk at Visual Studio Live! this November, so I'm making it as awesome as I can before then.) Look forward to a lot of fun and lots of practical advice.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
IE.NET
Riverside, CA
Meetup Event
Topic: Getting Started with Git

I'm fairly new to Git myself; I've only been using it for about 6 months now. But I'm a convert. I really like having full history on my machine without needing network access. In this session we'll create a repository and use it to run through the basic Git commands -- both on the command line and through Visual Studio integration. And we'll see a bit of GitHub along the way. In the end, we'll see that it's not that complicated, and there are some great resources to help us get started.

This is also a new talk that I gave for the first time last week at DotNetGroup.org in Las Vegas. I had a great time doing it, and some good questions came out of the session.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - LATE ADDITION
C# Entertainment
Los Angeles, CA
Meetup Event
Topics: I'll Get Back to You: C# Task, Await, and Asynchronous Methods

C# Entertainment is a BRAND NEW group in Los Angeles. The goal is to mix programming technology with stand-up comedy. And don't worry, these are separate acts -- I'm not the one doing the stand-up. I'm looking forward to a great evening of tech and laughter. Come check it out.


A Look Ahead
I have a few exciting things scheduled for August, including a trip to Detroit for the Quicken Loans Technical Conference and then to Wisconsin for That Conference. I'm looking forward to both of these events. (BTW, Uncle Bob will be giving a keynote at That Conference. It will be great to see him in person.)

A Look Back
I had a lot of fun at the events I spoke at in June. The Denver Dev Day was a great day. 250 excited devs were packed into the rooms throughout the day; and tons of conversations going through the hallways. I ended up doing 4 talks that day, and I met a lot of new people and caught up with a few old friends.

Here's a few pics from one of my presentations (Learn to Love Lambdas):

Jeremy talking while holding a Diet Coke
Folks making space where they can
And this past weekend, I had a great time at the So Cal Code Camp. I got to catch up with a lot of folks I hadn't seen for a while, meet some new people, attended some good talks, and got to give several talks. Plus, folks got to hear me play the banjo.

Here are some pictures: one from the speaker dinner at the beginning of the event, and one from the raffle at the tail end of the event. These are the brave souls to managed to make it all the way to Sunday afternoon. I was totally exhausted afterwards, but it was totally worth it.

Speaker Dinner (that's meet at the far end)
At the Raffle (that's me holding the banjo)
Hunt down a community event near you. It's a great investment in yourself and in others in your local community.

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment