Wednesday, September 24, 2014

October 2014 Speaking Engagements

I'll be traveling a little bit in October. If you're in Silicon Valley or the Phoenix area, be sure to stop by. These events should be a lot of fun.

Thursday, October 9, 2014
South Bay .NET User Group
Mountain View, CA
Meetup Event
o Abstract Art: Getting Things "Just Right"

Saturday & Sunday, October 11 & 12, 2014
Silicon Valley Code Camp
Los Altos Hills, CA
My Sessions
o Clean Code: Homicidal Maniacs Read Code, Too!
o Learn to Love Lambdas
o Community, Career, and You: A Microsoft MVP Panel

This will be my third time going to the Silicon Valley Code Camp. It is an amazing experience. Tons of sessions on all different topics to choose from (there are about 25 sessions to choose from in each time slot). I've met a lot of great people over the last two years, and I'm looking forward to being there again this year.

Saturday, October 18, 2014
Desert Code Camp
Chandler, AZ
Code Camp Site
o Abstract Art: Getting Things "Just Right"
o Dependency Injection: A Practical Introduction
o Learn to Love Lambdas

Desert Code Camp is one of my favorite events (I know, I'm not supposed to have favorites). This will be my 9th time at this event. The Phoenix area has a great developer community, and I always have a lot of fun when I go out there. I'm looking forward to talking to some old friends and also meet a lot of new people.

Abstract Art: Getting Things "Just Right" (the movie)
You may be wondering about my latest Pluralsight course. It's currently going through the final production processes and should be released the week of October 6th.

[Update 10/06/2014: It's published! http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/abstract-art-getting-things-just-right]

In the course, we look at how abstraction is awesome and how abstraction is awful. If we have too much abstraction, then our applications are complex and hard to maintain. If we have too little abstraction, then our applications are rigid and hard to maintain. Our goal is to figure out how to get just the right amount of abstraction in our applications.

We'll do this by looking at ourselves and how our own nature as developers can get in the way of achieving this goal. And the course is chock full of practical advice -- real practices that we can use to help us get things "just right".

And of course, you can also see the live version (which is a bit condensed) at upcoming events. Hope to see you in person soon!

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment