Sunday, January 29, 2017

A Look Back at January 2017

This is normally where I would put my speaking engagements for February, but I don't have any. I'll be taking a bit of time off instead.

So let's take a look back at January.

A Look Back
I had the great opportunity to go back to NDC London this year. I had an amazing time. It was really great to catch up with friends from all over the world and also make some new friends.

I gave 2 talks. The first was Get Func<>-y: Delegates in .NET. I had a good group in attendance, and it seemed to be well received.

[Update 04/2017: A recording of this presentation is available here: Get Func-y: Delegates in .NET.]

Here's what @jesbach87 said (direct link):


Thanks for the great picture (although it does make me look like a bit of an evil genius).

My friend Dave Fancher (@davefancher) was also there (direct link):


I also got some nice nice compliments on the talk:




I also got some great comments a week later:



My second talk was Focus on the User: Making the World a Better Place. These were the brave folks who came to the first presentation of the day the day after the event party. So I knew they were serious.

[Update 04/2017: A recording of this presentation is available here: Focus on the User: Making the World a Better Place.]

Thanks to my friend Jessica Engstrom (@grytlappen) for the great picture (direct link):


Liam Westley (@westleyl) was nice enough to point out that I tend to stand like a teapot. Based on the pictures from Twitter, it's kind of hard to deny that.

And thanks to Andy (@Pondidum) for this nice comment (direct link):


Recordings from both of these talks will be posted in the coming months. I'll be sure to post the links when they're available.

In addition to the presentations, I had a ton of great conversations. I got to catch up with some folks who I haven't seen for a while. I got to see some of my friends from Europe. And I met some new folks. I had some really great conversations on a huge variety of topics. That's one of the best parts of going to any event.

Sightseeing in London
I also had 3 days to spend in the city. London is one of my favorite places. There is history everywhere, you can walk around and find interesting stuff without even trying, and I really like riding the underground.

Here are a few pictures:


"Sophie" (at the Natural History Museum) is the most complete stegosaurus ever found. Considering that I've also met "Sue" (the most complete T-Rex), I think I'm starting to build a collection.


The Victoria and Albert Museum was amazing. And it included this sculpture. How do you even do that?!?

I spent time in Regents Park, the London Zoo, and Hyde Park. One of the highlights was visiting Speakers Corner in Hyde Park.


This is a place where people get on a soapbox and talk about whatever they'd like. This was a really interesting experience. The topics were varied, the people were interesting, and the dialogues made you think. There was also a bit of humor as people listening threw in their own comments.

I had many other adventures in London (and took over 500 photos). I'm looking forward to going back in May for SDD 2017.

If you're interested in seeing all the photos, you can view the gallery here: Jeremy goes to London (Jan 2017).

A Look Ahead
Even though I don't have anything scheduled for February, I do have a few events in March. On the 18th, I'll be at the Boise Code Camp in Boise ID. Details are still pending. I've heard great things about this event, and I've wanted to go for the last 2 years. So I'm really glad that I have the chance to get there this year.

At the end of the month, I'll be in Las Vegas NV for dotNet Group.org. I've been to this group several times, and I'm glad for the chance to go back. Keep an eye on my website for more details.

You can always check my website to see what's coming up.

Remember, if you'd like me to be at your event this year, be sure to drop me a note. I already have 16 tentative events planned. I'm not sure how many I'll be able to fit in this year.

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment